- George Stephenson is called father of Railway
- Indian Railways is the 4th Largest Railway Network in the World.
- The Headquarter of Indian Railway is in New Delhi.
- National Academy of Indian Railways is in Vadodara
The Indian railways operate in three different Gauges.
Broad Gauges(1.676 m)
Meter Gauges(1.00 m)
- India’s First railway line was started on 16 april 1853 ( during Lord Dalhousie) from Bombay to Thane over 34 km.Name of the Train was Black Beauty.
- The second Train ran between Howrah to Hooghly in 1854.
- The First Electric Train was Deccan Queen ran between Bombay to poona
- It has the longest train route in India from Dibrugarh (Assam) to Kanyakumari in south,total distance(4230 km)
- This train was started on 150 birth anniversary of Swami Vivekananda.So the train name is Vivek Express.
- It is the 8th longest route in the World.
- Himsagar Express covers the 2nd longest route in India.
*John Methai was India’s 1st Railway Minister(after Independence), who presented the First Railway Budget of India.
*Railway Budget was separated from General Budget in 1924 by the recommended by Acworth committee.
*Longest railway platform in India is of Gorakhpur (1366.33 m) (Uttar Pradesh) .
*India largest Railway Yard is of Pt.Deen Dayal Upadhyaya Junction (formally Mughalsarai Station) Up.
*National Rail Museum is in New Delhi.
*16 April is celebrated as railway day and 10 to 16 April is celebrated as Railway week.
*First Female Railway Minister of India was Mamata Banerjee.
*Gatimaan Express is the Fastest Train of India with speed (160 km) that run between Delhi to Agra.
*Indian railway has 69 division.
*Indian railway has 18 zone.
*Indian railway has 21 RRB (Railway recruitment board)
Trains That Run Between India and Pakistan are:
- Samjhauta Express Run Between Delhi to Lahore.
- Thar Link Express run Between Jodhpur to Karachi.
Train that run Between India and Bangladesh:
- Maitree Express run between Kolkata to Dhaka.
- Bandhan express run between Kolkata to khulna.
- First Female Indian Railway Driver Surekha Shankar Yadav.
- First Female Diesel Engine Railway driver of India Mumtaz M . Kazi.
- First Railway Minister of India who resigned because of Rail Accident was Lal Bahadur Shastri.
- India’s first Steam Express train called Fairy Queen.
- India’s longest Rail cum Road Bridge called Bogibeel bridge over Brahmaputra river.
- South coast Railway Zone is the 18th Zone of Indian Railway Headquartered at Visakhapatnam Andhra Pradesh.