Bharat Ratna is India’s Highest Civilian Award. Given for exceptional service towards advancement of Art, Literature and Science,Public Service of the highest order and any field of human endeavor . It was first Awarded in 1954 and first ever Indians to receive this award was the famous scientist, Chandrashekhara Venkata Raman also known C.V Raman,Politician C.Rajagopalachari and Dr.Sarvepalli Radhakrishnan.The actual award is designed in the shape of Peepal Leaf with Bharat Ratna inscribed in Devanagri script in the sun Figure.
The reverse side of the decoration Satyameva Jayate has been written in Hindi with an inscription of the State Emblem ,the Sun and the rim are of Platinum .The inscriptions are burnished Bronze.
- It is also not Compulsory that Bharat Ratna should be awarded every year.
- There is no such provision that the Bharat Ratna should be awarded only to Indians.
- A maximum of 3 Bharat Ratna can be awarded in a year.
some examples are
The award has been awarded to a naturalized Indian citizen, Agnes Gonxha Bojaxhiu, better known as Mother Teresa (1980)
Two non-Indians –
- Khan Abdul Ghaffar Khan (1987) also called Frontier Gandhi (Afghanistan)
- Nelson Mandela (1990) from South Africa
Bharat Ratna 2019
The president of India Ram Nath Kovind conferred the Bharat Ratna Award to Nanaji Deshmukh (Posthumously),Dr Bhupen Hazarika(Posthumously) and Dr Pranab Mukherjee on 25 January 2019.
- Chandikadas Amritrao Deshmukh famously known Nanaji Deshmukh was a prominent RSS ideologue and Leader,He was a social activist and worked in the fields of Education,Health. He was a leader of Bharatiya Jana sangh. Who established India’s first Saraswati Sishu Mandir in Gorakhpur in year 1950.
- Dr.Bhupen Hazarika was a playback Singer,Lyricist,Musician,Poet,and Filmmaker from Assam, Famously Known a Sudhakantha.
- Dr.Pranab Mukherjee was the 13th President of India(2012-2017) ,He also served as Finance Minister ,Defence Minster and External affairs Minister in Congress Government
- Sachin Tendulkar was the youngest and First Athlete to receive Bharat Ratna.
- M.S Subbulakshmi was the first musician to receive this Award.