Original Text of Preamble
“WE,THE PEOPLE OF INDIA, having solemnly resolved to constitute India into a SOVEREIGN,SOCIALIST,SECULAR,DEMOCRATIC,REPUBLIC and to secure to all its citizens;
JUSTICE Social,Economic and Political;
LIBERTY of Thoughts,Expression,Belief,Faith and Worship;
EQUALITY of status and of Opportunity; and to promote among them all;
FRATERNITY assuring the dignity of the individual and the unity and Integrity of the Nation; IN OUR CONSTITUENT ASSEMBLY this twenty-sixth day of November,1949,do Hereby adopt,Enact and Give to Ourselves this Constitution.“
Important Cases Related to Preamble
Berubari Union Advisory Opinion Case (1960) : It indicated that the Preamble of the Indian Constitution too cannot be treated as a part of the Constitution.
Kesavananda Bharati vs State of Kerala Case (1973) : The Supreme Court reversed the opinion and pronounced that the Preamble is the part of the Constitution .
LIC of India Case 1995 : The Supreme Court again held that Preamble is an Integral Part of the Constitution.
- Using Article 368, Preamble can be amended Provided that the basic structure of the Constitution found in the Preamble is not Destroyed .
- The Preamble of Indian constitution of India has been amended only once so far in 1976 by 42nd Amendment act 1976.Which added three new words SOCIALIST,SECULAR,INTEGRITY .
- These amendment were recommended by Swaran Singh Committee .
- The Idea of Preamble in Indian Constitution has been taken from Constitution of United States of America (USA).
- It is also called Identity Card/ I-Card of Indian Constitution,Said by NA Palkhivala an Eminent Jurist.
- The Objective Resolution,Proposed by Pandit Jawaharlal Nehru and passed by the Constituent Assembly,Which ultimately became the Preamble to the Constitution of India.
- In India Secularism means that the state shall respect all religions equally and there will be no special provisions for any Religion.
- 42nd Amendment 1976 of Indian Constitution is also called Mini Constitution.